Re: kernel 2.2.6

> Yes! But could anyone explaing to me why it is must be less than 512kb??

The boot loader doesn't run in protected mode.  It runs in a 8086
compatible mode that the pc BIOS set up.  The cpu can only
address 640kB of memory in this mode.  Some of this
space is needed for the boot loader itself, so there's
about 512k left over.  The boot loader must load the kernel
into this space.  Then the kernel switch to protected mode
and uncompress itself, using all the available memory.

Fortunately, this is not a problem at all.  Use modules!  I
have made everything modules, except for ext2 and the aic7xxx
driver I need for the root file system.  All other drivers,
all other filesystems are modules.

Those who don't want modules must make a kernel with less
features, or write a boot loader capable of using
protected mode.  This is not trivial.

Helge Hafting