Re: Recommendation for best Linux book

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> "David B.Teague" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Cliff Draper wrote:
> >
> > > I'm looking for a good intro/intermediate Linux book for a friend.
> > > Any recommendations?  Is the O'Reilly book any good?
> > >  cliffwd@forte.com
> >
> > Cliff,
> >
> > Linux press has a book that does a lot of what you are asking.  It
> > is written by Dale Scheetz, who is a Debian developer.  It comes
> > with 4 Debian 2.1 CDs It is much more than just an installation
> > book, it deals with issues that anyone using Linux should be
> > familiar with.
> >
> > The best part: you can down load an electronic copy for free, at
> > www.linuxpress.com.
>
> Since the license allows electronic redistribution, it could go
> into non-free.  I wonder why it hasn't been packaged yet.  Dale?
>
> I'd do it, but it seems silly if the author can but chooses not to.

To be honest, it seemed a bit egotistical to me...

I would be very happy if someone else packaged it.

The whole intention of the license was that the information contained in
the book would be freely accessible while protecting the publisher's need
to make a profit. As I hold the copyright, I was able to control the
license to that degree (yes I could have demanded a totally free license
if I didn't have any interest in getting paid, but that's a different
problem).

I expected that someone would eventually either package it or provide in
on another site from www.linuxpress.com, but I was always satisfied that I
could point folks to the source of the html.

These questions are quite timely, as I just recieved my "complimentary"
copies of my latest efforts. The book is called "Linux Volume 1: ac to
zcat, the basics", and is over 600 pages packed with general Linux
information. This volume focuses on Linux commands of interest to the user
and the system administrator. Information useful to developers will be
found in volume 2, which I am still trying to finish ;-)

Neither of these books are Debian specific, although I verified
functionality on a Debian system, and should be useful to anyone using, or
interested in, Linux.

HTH,

Dwarf