Re: Address book in mutt?

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 10:36:11AM +0200,
Wojciech Zabolotny <wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hi All!
> Is it possible to use the address book in mutt? I couldn't find
> anything about it in the documentation. Maybe it is possible to
> use mutt combined with another program providing the address book
> facilities? (I know the simplest solution: Use any database for
> address book and copy the addresses with gpm :-).
>
> 			TIA
> 			Wojtek Zabolotny
> 			wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl
> --

To create aliases with mutt, create an alias file. The filename doesn't
matter; I called mine .mutt.aliases. In your .muttrc, add the following
two lines:

set alias_file=~/.mutt.aliases
source ~/.mutt.aliases

The alias file contains definitions in the following format:

alias bob Bob Smith <bobs@bob.com>

When mutt asks you who to send the message to, just type bob and it will
put the rest of the line into the To field. You can type multiple
aliases (and normal addresses) separated by commas.

You don't actually need a separate file for your aliases. The "source"
command basically includes the file at that point. You could put all
your alias definitions into .muttrc. When adding aliases from within
mutt (key 'a'), I believe it appends them to .muttrc by default. Setting
the alias_file variable makes it append them to that file instead.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> pretzelgod@pobox.com

Don't you try to out-weird me! I get stranger things
than you free with my breakfast cereal!
--Zaphod Beeblebrox