Re: minicom crashes after upgrade

In article <cistron.199904261423.KAA04396@fcrao1.phast.umass.edu>,
Gopal Narayanan  <gopal@fcrao1.phast.umass.edu> wrote:
>I upgraded one of our machines to slink from hamm. The upgrade went
>well. But after the upgrade I keep getting segmentation violations when
>I run minicom. We use minicom to talk to another local machine through
>the serial port. It was working fine before the upgrade. I am running
>kernal 2.0.34.

Well from the message you are including below (a kernel oops), it
is clear that it isn't minicom that crashes, it's the kernel that
crashes! Fortunately only minicom is killed and not the whole machine..

>When I start up minicom, it is fine until I give it one keystroke, upon
>which it segfaults. Any help will be much appreciated. Will a kernel
>upgrade be helpful. If so what kernel should I upgrade to?

Oh yes, that will probbaly help. 2.0.36 is the latest stable kernel
in the 2.0.x series, try that one.

>Here is the relevant kernel messages cut and pasted from dmesg:
>
>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address c482bd98
>current->tss.cr3 = 032de000, %cr3 = 032de000

If you are running a recent klogd, then you'll have a decoded oops
in /var/log/kern.log. That is more useful - this raw output isn't

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?