Re: ISA vs PCI Modem

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

[ snip ]

 : > IMO it's embarrasing that most PCI modem manufacturers are making them
 : > winmodems.  Talk about cheap!
 :
 : I'm not sure this is true. The PCI modem I bought last week is linux
 : incompatible; it uses shared memory instead of an I/O address and IRQ.
 : There's a Windows driver called the "modem enumerator", which emulates
 : a port for Windows apps to use. From what I read on the web, the shared
 : memory interface doesn't mean Winmodem; unfortunately, it's just not
 : really documented by the manufacturers.

Ah, ok - I stand corrected.  So perhaps we (Linux users) need to beat on
the manufacturers a bit and get them to release documentation?  Sheesh,
I thought we'd done this before!  You think they'd learn ...

I've seen multiport serial cards that used shared memory rather than a
traditonal IRQ/IO port - Equinox makes such a card.  I've gotten it to
work in Linux, but they write the driver and it's assembly code - yuck.
OTOH it's a (poor) proof of concept ...

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD