Unable to compose mail in all mail programs

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a reason why mail programs (mutt,
pine, mail) will not compose, reply to, or forward mail. Earlier this
afternoon everything was working fine and I came back and neither
pine, mutt, nor mail would allow to perform this function -- the
programs just "freeze" without any notification. I have had this
problem before. I would appreciate any help and would like to thank
those individuals ahead of time for their input.

Emil Soleyman-Zomalan