boot.bat: invalid compressed format

Recently, I tried to do a quick-and-dirty slink install on a friend's
machine. As I usually do, I copied the install directory to a FAT
partition and invoked boot.bat from that directory. However, all I
received was "Uncompressing Linux... invalid compressed format". My
disks are fine, the same procedure works on different hardware.

The box is an ancient P90 with Triton Chipset, 64 MB RAM and an
Adaptec 1515 host adapter.

Any ideas what might be happening here? Is this faulty hardware? The
machine runs fine with Windows 98 and NT 4.0.

Greetings
Marc