Re: Manual & dselect problems

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, William R Pentney wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, William R Pentney wrote:
>
> Ah, wait a minute - I found the source of problem (1). libglib.so is a
> symbolic link to libglib.so.0.0.1, which does not exist. Similar
> situation for the others. I do have a libglib.a, however. How did this
> happen? How might I fix it?

Sounds to me like you somehow got into conflict resolution, did not look
carefully at what was being displayed, accepted it, and that resulted in a
lot of packages being deleted.  Common newbie error.

ALso, Debian often does not remove the symlinks when it removes the
library it points to. This results in a ton of these ldconfig errors as
your system ages and you upgrade from revision to revision.

The same situation is true with manpage symlinks, the underlying manpage
gets changed, a new symlink is created and the old dangling symlink is
left in place to cause all sorts of clutter whenever you do a man <typo>
and it searches all those bad symlinks.

Basic weakness of Debian ... housekeeping issue, really.