Re: Sound

Trevor Glen <Trevor.Glen@iweb.net.au> writes:

> I have a problem with sound. I can't play any sounds. I have tried using
> rplay and nmaker, both the same results. The annoying thing is that I
> can play CDs with no probs!!! I am a member of the group audio and
> sounds are compiled into the kernel.

You might be a member of group audio, but do /dev/audio and /dev/dsp
belong to group audio? Here's what I have:

bash-2.01$ ls -l /dev/audio /dev/dsp
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   4 Mar 15 18:38 /dev/audio
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   3 Mar 15 18:38 /dev/dsp

But on the out-of-the-box Debian they used to belong to
root.root. Chown them to root.audio.

Hope this helps,
--
Arcady Genkin
"I opened up my wallet, and it's full of blood..." - GsYDE