strange mouse behaviour -- gpm

Hi,
I can't get my mouse configured with gpm (slink). Normally when X starts, the mouse doesn't work at all. Sometimes, when I press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace a couple of times it starts working and somtimes, the only way to get it working is to give the command gpm -k. When I give a gpm -k, the program will hang and I have to use Ctrl-C to deblock it. After I have tried to kill gpm, I can press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and the mouse will work (most of the times). I just have a very basic two-button serial mouse.

Can anybody tell me how to solve this problem please?

OR

Can I just remove gpm? The mouse worked fine in hamm. This was without gpm, but now I have slink and I read that some programs depend on gpm.

TIA,

Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven