Re: removing old kernel packages

*- On 23 Apr, Aaron M. Stromas wrote about "removing old kernel packages"

> hi,
>
> i upgraded my kernel from 2.0.34 to 2.0.36. then, using dpkg -r,  i went
> to remove kernel-[image|source]-2.0.34 but it complained about
> /lib/modules/2.0.34 and a number of directories under
> /usr/source/kernel-source-2.0.34 not being empty an didn't remove them.
>
> i'm tempted to remove those manually (or should i use dpkg --purge?) but
> something warns me that i may regret doing this later.
>
> why dpkg behaves that way and how can i get rid of 2.0.34 stuff? i
> intend to install kernel-source-2.0.36 (kernel-image-2.0.36 is obvously
> already installed). tia,

--remove removes all non configuration files.(leaves
         files in /var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.conffiles
--purge removes all files. (everything in
        /var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.list

However if there are any files in the directories that it is trying to
remove that are not in /var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname.list> then you will
still get the 'not empty directories' complaints.  dpkg will not remove
files that it does not know about.  In a /lib/modules/* directory this
is probably the modules.dep file that is generated by depmod -a after
the modules have been installed.

--
Brian
							   - unknown