Re: 8-bit safe text utils?

>-Eric House <ehouse@eng.sun.com>
>
> The words include a character (octal 0267) that indicates hyphenation.
> I want to pull it out.  If in the bash shell (either running in emacs
> via shell mode or in xterm; it doesn't matter) I type
>
> # tr -d "\267" < woor-den.max
>
> tr does nothing.  But if I save the same command as a bash shell
> script and execute it I get the desired result.

This may not be too helpful, but It Works For Me:

[olet@armadillo] ~> locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_ALL=
[olet@armadillo] ~> cat test.text
This is·a test.
[olet@armadillo] ~> tr -d "\267" < test.text
This isa test.
[olet@armadillo] ~> tr --version
tr (GNU textutils) 1.22

--
Making main a void function isn't really bad. The only drawback
is that the compiler is free to generate instructions that launch