Re: A lot of questions

In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> I have a lot of question:
> [snip]
> 2. When I change mode of *.pl (perl), I can excute it in unix, but I
> cannot excute it in linux, I must use 'perl *.pl' to excute it. I don't
> know if I need configure something.

More than likely, the .pl file has a shebang (#!) that points to a
non-existant interpreter.  Either change the:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#!/usr/bin/perl
or put a symbolic link for compatibility
[prompt]# ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl

> 3 I don't want to excute xdm at the boot. When I check my /etc/X11/config,
> it said "no-start-xdm". I don't know how to boot to text start. I have
> installed hamm, and upgrade to slink. After I upgrade to slink, my debian
> start xdm at boot time.

The no-start-xdm is not used anymore.  Actually, the whole /etc/X11/config
is no longer used and can be deleted.

To keep xdm from starting, either remove the package...
[prompt]# dpkg --purge xdm

or remove the links in /etc/rc#.d to keep it from starting.

Hope this helps,
-Mitch

--
I must get out of these wet clothes and into a dry Martini.
		-- Alexander Woolcott