Fonts is X and Linux

What is the best information source to learn about the use of fonts in
Linux and X?  To be perfectly honest I have no idea how to use the many
fonts that are available to me under X.  I have xfontsel installed and
have looked at it, but I am not sure how to use it to change default
screen fonts and stuff like that.  Changing fonts should be fairly
simple, and probably is, but it does not seem that intuative. Could
someone point me in the right direction.  Thank you.