Re: Disk geommetry, was Re: Kernel Upgrade: Why?

> > > Would I see a performance increase if I made sure my linux partition
> > > was on the outside of my disk?  Would I be even better putting my swap
> > > partition as far out as possible?
> >
> > the partitioning HOWTO talks about this;
> >
> >   http://webdocs.essex.ac.uk/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Partition-3.html#ss3.3
> >
> > go on, do it - you know you want to...
>
> The HOWTO, and the person responding to the Mindcraft survey, both assert that the part of the disk furthest from the spindle is the fastest, and that one can use this to optimise performance.  While I don't doubt the first part of the statement, I was under the impression that once you hit a drive's onboard logic, geometry is pretty much up for grabs these days, and attempting to put something on the "outer edge" of the disk is an excerise in self-delusion.  The HOWTO is dated 1997, and the information therein may be older.  Does anyone out there have some knowledge of current hard drive manufacturing?  Or better yet, some numbers from formal or informal experiments in drive partition performance?

Well, there was a discussion here about a benchmark Linux vs NT, and
some people here said that the preformance of Linux could have been
affected by the fact that Linux was near the center, and NT on the outer
side.
And the data on the outer side passes the heads much faster than the
data on the inner side. But then, there is much more data on the outer
side, and a piece of data on the outer side will go round in the same
amount of time as a piece of data on the inner side..

So, is there an advantage if whe put for example swap at the outer side
of a disk?

		Groetjes, Ookhoi