Re: Kernel Upgrade: Why?

On Tuesday 20 April, Richard Harran wrote:

> I am currently running kernel 2.0.36 in my slink system.  Would there be
> any advantages to upgrading my kernel?  If so what version would be a
> good (stable) version to which to upgrade?  Are there any good reasons
> not to upgrade?

I'm no expert, but I think it depends quite a bit on what your hardware
is, and what you do with it. do you need a really fast TCP/IP stack for
example? do you have multiple processors? certain things in 2.2.x are
vastly improved, but I imagine that plenty of others are pretty much the
same.

I've been running 2.2.6 here without any problems on all my boxes. 2.2.4
was also free from problems for me (didn't try 2.2.5).

issues with slink are explained here;

  http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/stable/running-kernel-2.2

I'd do it if I was you. I thought the speedup was noticeable, but I'm
running SMP.

> Would I see a performance increase if I made sure my linux partition
> was on the outside of my disk?  Would I be even better putting my swap
> partition as far out as possible?

the partitioning HOWTO talks about this;

  http://webdocs.essex.ac.uk/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Partition-3.html#ss3.3

go on, do it - you know you want to...

--
Graham