Re: A file is not always what you think it is.

Hans van den Boogert:

> That makes me wonder: I have to install some packages on the notebook to
> get the external CD-ROM drive working. If I copy them from the CD-ROM on
> a DOS formatted floppy and then transfer to the notebook, will I get the
> same kind of trouble?

Nope. Copying deb files back and forth and around is no problem at all.

The only trouble you might have is that the filenames are changed. That
only matters if you are using the Packages file, though; no problem if you
have dselect scan the directory, or install individual debs directly.

Oh, and if the package is bigger than the floppy then it won't fit.
Obviously.

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently