Cannot mount root after crash

I am running Debian 2.0 on a Pentium 200. After I tried to leave KDE by
using its Shutdown menu, the system crashed and I had to finally reset
the computer. Now, Linux crashes during boot  (root is on /dev/hda4)
with the message:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly

I started the Mini-Shell from the Debian-CD with the root on ramdisk. I
tried e2fsck -f, which found some errors. In the Mini-Shell, I can mount
and read /dev/hda4. However, if I try to boot Linux from the harddrive,
it still crashes with 'VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly'.

Does somebody have an idea?

Thanks for the help,

Frank Bloos