Re: Debian on old SPARC

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 05:29:47PM -0700, Max wrote:
> We have a few old SPARCstations (1 and 1+) around here that I'd like
> to convert to Debian and essentially use them as glorified X
> terminals.  The major problem is that each one only has 127 MB of hard
> drive space.  So, is it possible to install some minimum version of
> Debian that would include all the networking stuff and X on such a
> small amount of disk space?  The machines would then be used to run X
> that would allow users to ssh to a server for all real work.

Yes. I have slink installed on a sparc 1 right now and only 200 meg hd.
It is taking less than half of that and acts as a dial-up/masq server.
Setting up an Xserver would be trivial and not take up much more space.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation