RE: IDEA:Offical Debian Support Team?

In <[🔎] F6225AB9F3C9D2119EF300A0C9DD60C04B584E@EXCHHQ01.usinspect.com>, on
04/20/99
   at 05:22 PM, "Madel, Kurt" <KMadel@USInspect.com> said:

>don't quite cut it for the corporate world. But I don't see any reason why
>the HP's or IBM's couldn't include Debian as one of the distributions they
>support.

It would seem you have hit at least part of the problem (solution?) in this
comment.  Debian maintainers take an app/package and formulate Debian's
version, yes?  Yet Debian's goal is not to commercialize.  But the support
from the outside should reasonably be headed towards Linux, not a
distribution.  Does Debian send letters (official or otherwise) to these
companies giving out the specifics of how to create a .deb, and doing that
would be beneficial?  (And is a free Debian CD packed in with the letter?
:)  (Oops ... 2 CD's these days)

A well thought out, very carefully worded letter may go a long way towards
helping Debian.  These people aren't our enemies, after all.  And choosing
Debian hardly means a user won't buy that great app from a commercial
vendor.

Kenward
Dr. Kenward Vaughan
Professor of Chemistry