General Debian setup question...

First of all, Thanks to all who helped me get my exim-fetchmail working. I now
only need to boot to windows for Quicken.

In any event, I'm curious if someone could give me pointers to docs that talk
about organizing my system.  I started from 2.1 slink CDs that didn't have
non_free, contrib, local, or other directories like that. So now I'm curious
where on my system I should put debs that I bring down. (basically, so dselect
knows they exist as well as the CDs).

I also have 2 Cds of source, and I was curious if there are "source packaging
utilities" to work with those. I'd like to look at a few of the gnome utilities
that seem less than fully implemented to see if I am qualified to lend a
helping hand in that direction.

Either commentary or pointers on what docs to read would be of much assistance!

Thanks!
Jonathan Lupa
~
jjlupa@jamdata.net