Slow floppy boot

I boot linux (presently Debian 2.1) from a floppy disk.  Before Debian 2.0, I
had no problems, since then however the boot process takes between 6 and 7
minutes to complete!  It used to take only a few seconds.

I notice when the floppy is being prepared by the installation program a
calibration of some sort is performed and number is generated which is supposed
to be included in /etc/driveprm.  I have tried this with no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advanced.