Referencing Tables in Latex?

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but with the recent converstaion about
latex I was wondering if someone could help me? I'm writing a document in
latex and I can use \ref and \label to identify figures fine. So if I put
\ref{something}, it will print the number of the figure called using
\label{something}

However when I try to do the same thing with a reference to a table, it
prints the section the table is in, instead of the number of the table. I can
show the number of tables with \arabic{table}, but when I put \ref{a_table},
it prints the section number of the table instead of the table's number. Eg
2.3.4 instead of 3.

Please help, I'm sure I'm just missing something simple but the documentation
doesn't help :-(

Thanks :-)
--
Andy Holmes

andy@proxima.force9.co.uk

"The path of my life is strewn with cow pats from the devil's own satanic herd!", Edmund Blackadder