LLS: Install cfdisk and 12GB disk

I booted from the 2.1 CD and tried to Partition a Hard Drive but it appears
that cfdisk doesn't know how to handle extended partitions on a 12GB disk.
I used Win98's DOS diskette fdisk to format the extended partition and
allocate the logical drive partitions.  Then when I return back to the
install, cfdisk gets a "FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition".  I don't know
how to get unstuck.  Thank you for any help you can provide.