Re: kernel question

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:

> > Hi,
> > 	If I compile something as a module rather than include
> > 	it in the kernel, will I get a performance loss?? If I
> > 	use something very often, such as ppp, should I include
> > 	it in the kernel or compile it as a module?
> >

> There should not be a difference.  If you use something the entire time the
> box is on, then consider compiling it in.  Some items must be a module
> to allow irq and io addresses to be configed.

Actually, if you set versioning info on all modules, you're required
to compile ppp support as a module.  Besides that, if you use modules
at all, you may as well just load things as needed since you've already
committed to the overhead incurred by modularizing.

Thomas S. Howard
http://www.thegrid.net/gaijin
There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of
a "hottest part" implies a temperature difference, and any marginally
competent physicist would immediately use this to run a heat engine and
make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously
impossible.
	--Richard Davisson