Re: Debian vs. RedHat

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Carl Fink wrote:

> You don't see that as a terrible indictment of dselect?  What kind of
> installation system makes you select your options in *increments*?
>
> Especially when, without apt, it makes you sit around for twenty
> minutes on each cycle while pointlessly listing packages it *isn't*
> installing?
I have to agree with this. dselect was supposed to be a user-friendly
front end, but it has a very bizarre structure. Why can't it update the
package list in the same step in which you choose a method of
installation? (I realize you may want to update the packages without
changing the method, but why can't it automatically update the packages
when you change it?)

Furthermore, is there a method of searching by package description, rather
than name, in dselect, and if not, why not? It could be very useful. (My
apologies if I just need to RTFM more carefully. I learned the proper use
of dselect primarily through trial and error.)

- Bill