SHELL environment variable.

I was always under the impression that the SHELL envirinment variable
was supposed to point to the _current_ shell. In my setup at least,
it doesn't. It _always_ points to the login shell (I change to a
different shell but the variable remains the same). Bug, feature,
user error?  Any comments or suggestions welcome.

TIA
   Jan M.        -  mailto:jancm@bigfoot.com

   PGP key mailto:jancm@bigfoot.com?Subject=send%20pgp%20key
       Fingerprint:397D 093C E802 964E  5316 B90A 93CE 6696

Thought for the day:
    Having your back scratched is not the only reason to be married,
    but it is a good one, especially for those spots that are so
    hard to reach by yourself.
            -- Maureen Johnson, 'To Sail Beyond the Sunset'
                               (Robert Heinlein)