Re: Current kernel configuration?

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Robbie Huffman wrote:

> Subject: Re: Current kernel configuration?

> On Tue, Apr 13, 1999  Wayne Topa wrote:
> >[...] to get a SoundBlaster working 'with-out'
> > compiling it into the kernel is to purchase the OSS commercial
> > Sound package for $20. [...]

> How about possibly just using someone else's .o files?

Robbie

I have had trouble with modules compiled other than at
the exact time I compiled the kernel. Someone  suggested
the kernel can be compiled without version information,
and that this will allow 'generic' modules.

Is this true? And if my kernel is so compiled, I could
insmod your modules? (It is true that the kernel version
and patches  the same, is it not?)

I guess kernel compiling is not going away.

David Teague dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because the support is free, correct, useful,
		 and quick. Thanks, Debian People.