XDM doesn't start after Gnome installation!

Hi,
I re-installed gnome (gmc gnome-control-center gnome-panel gnome-session
gnome-game gnome-terminal gnome-utils) with the apt-get installation
tool from Debian after an erroneous installation. This far, I didn't
have any trouble or error message. Of course, some libs had to be
updated to fulfill dependencies with the packages. I then restarted to
the login screen but it didn't start again. I'm unable to login through
XDM.
The screen shows the typical movements of the Xserver trying to come up,
but the screen keeps black. What can be the difficulty? Can it be that
some libs that are used by XDM where also updated and now show
incompatibilties with other XDM packages? Apt-get should realize this
dependency problems... Did anybody experience this as well?
I use Debian 2.0 ("Hamm"). Any answer to what I should do are welcome.
Thanx,
Marcio Cordero