Re: Some email bounces = misconfigured exim?

FWIW, I use sympatico.ca and so I can explain how I worked around the
problem.  But first of all, the exact nature of the problem is, as I
believe you both guessed, that smtp1.sympatico.ca verifies the domain that
is sent in the MAIL FROM: line.  Note that it doesn't care about you being
inside the sympatico.ca domain.

My solution was to sign up for a dynamic dns service and put the ip
updater in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ and make my visible name (in smail, but it's
the same in exim) be that dynamic dns name.  Now, undeliverable mail
usually gets back to whatever user sent it in the first place because the
server trying to deliver it knows where I am.  The only time it ends up in
the bit bucket is if I go offline before the undeliverable mail bounces
(rare).

On 16 Apr 1999, John Hasler wrote:

> George Bonser writes:
> > That would be ok provided:
>
> > 1. He never says HELO sympatico.com
>
> Why?  His dynamic IP will resolve to the corresponding sympatico.ca
> hostname just as mine resolves to a win.bright.net one.  I am
> elk-iqx2-cs-32.win.bright.net [208.149.150.158] right now.  I say HELO
> win.bright.net right several times a day and it works just fine.  As soon
> as his ppp connection comes up he has a valid address in the sympatico.ca
> domain.

This is a very interesting idea, I think I'll give that a try!

> > 2. All users on his box that can send outbound mail also have sympatico
> > accounts.
> Not necessary.  There is no reason for there to be any relationship at all
> between the reverse-path and the address of the sender of the mail.  In
> fact, only the domain name needs to be valid (and most isp's require that
> it be in their domain), though without a completely valid reverse-path you
> may not always get bounced mail back.

This is a very good idea, I hadn't thought of this method, and I'm
starting to like the idea.

> > It is best NOT to do it this way.
> What do you suggest?  That we all get static ip's?

<dreaming>It would be nice. :)</dreaming>

-Dano