Re: missing file (/etc/ld.so.preload)

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 21:58:36 +0800, ivan@vianet.net.au wrote:
> What I'm doing is running a pipe between two background processes.
> Opening pipe for reading and writing both fail "illegal seek".  Does this
> qualify as "special requirements" ?

No.

> In any event I'm curious now to know what this file does do (and perhaps
> some example of the sort of special requirements that might require it) ?

Take a look at the `libnfslock' package. Basically, ld.so.preload is a list
of libraries to load prior to loading the shared libraries a binary depends
on. This can e.g. be used to tweak the behaviour of standard C library
functions like open(), which is what libnfslock does to fix a locking issue
over NFS.

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig