Re: Some email bounces = misconfigured exim?

On 16 Apr 1999, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> Hi all:
> It happened for the second time - an email bounced because I happen to
> have invalid domain name (i.e. my local domain name) in some
> header.
>
> Please advise where do dig. :(
>
> My local user@machine.domain address (intranet): antipode@main.wgaf.net
> My real email address: genkin@sympatico.ca
>
> Thanks!
>
> Here's the mailer's complaint: ------------------------------------------
>
> A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
> following address(es) failed:
>
>   my.addressee@transas.com:
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:
>     <antipode@main.wgaf.net> SIZE=2301:
>     host anguish.transas.com [193.125.200.2]:
>     501 <antipode@main.wgaf.net>... Sender domain must exist

Here is your problem:

corsica# nslookup main.wgaf.net
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find main.wgaf.net: Non-existent host/domain
corsica#

There is no such internet hostname of main.wgaf.net

The remote machine tries to do a lookup on that address, finds that there
is no such host in DNS and refuses your email. Try using a valid domain.

corsica# mxlookup main.wgaf.net
main.wgaf.net does not exist (Authoritative answer)