Re: MICROSOFT BS FUD

"Christopher J. Morrone" <morrone@elmasri.capsl.udel.edu> writes:
| On 14 Apr 1999, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
[snip]
| > You guys need to read your Slashdot (http://slashdot.org). I've heard
| > that this particular "benchmark" was commissioned by Microsoft. Anyone
| > who pays attention to a benchmark commissioned by one of the
| > interested parties deserves what they get.
|
| Well, while I agree with that, this is already being read and believed by
| managers and suits.  What we need are numbers to the contrary, not "it was
| commisioned by Microsoft".

Again, any logical person would conclude that the test was biased
given that one of the interested parties paid for the test. I'm not
saying that nobody will believe it, but I think given Mindcraft's
readership and their apparently close ties to Microsoft it'll have a
pretty limited impact.

| Of course, its not likely that anyone in the free software movement will
| be able to verify the results, because they used pretty expensive
| machinery.  A four processor Xeon as the server, and 144 pentium test
| nodes with ethernet switches.

Again, read Slashdot. There's already a "questioning" of the
procedures used by Mindcraft up on Linux Weekly News site,
http://lwn.net/1999/features/MindCraft1.0.phtml

Gary
Opinons are my own.