SMBMOUNT won't

I can't seem to get smbmount to work, although I BELIEVE it used to.
I've recently upgraded from 2.0.36 to 2.2.1, so that might have some
bearing.

I've tried most of the options in the smbmount man page; no good.

I've tried removing the smbfs package and then adding it back in; no
good.

I can connect with smbclient, which the smbmount man page said
definitely means my problem is with smbfs.

The error I get is just a generic:  mount error: Invalid argument Please
look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons.

Any clues, anyone? Thanks!