Re: NT vs Linux as web server

Spring 1999 Issue of linux magazine, page 42:

"LINUX OUTPERFORMED WINDOWS by as much as 250% for 12 or more client
systems."  (emphasis theirs, this is regarding SAMBA)

If I may say so, both sides seem to be generating a lot of FUD on this.
In my own (unscientific) studies, Linux has outperformed NT, but only
because Linux is operating without a processor-intensive GUI, and without
other unnecessary (for a file server, anyway) support services (which are
darn near impossible to remove on an NT Server).

Generally, the most important things to consider on these "X is faster
than Y" comparisons is to check the "science" behind the comparison.  If
Windows NT is faster than Linux on a two-machine network, how does that
matter to you on your 100 machine LAN?  If the article is hesitant to
describe the methodology behind their study, and if it sounds too much
like laboratory conditions, than the study is bogus.