Re: rm'ing directories

>>>>> On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:50:04 -0600, "John Greer" <jgreer@selway.umt.edu> said:

John> I was installing a few programs on my system (hamm) and now that I
John> have tried them out I don't really want them I tried to rm them off of
John> the system rm -rd directory but it will not remove them.  I tried as a
John> normal user, as su, and as root.  I get an do you wish to remove
John> mode 0755 and then an Operation not Permitted error.  Any help??

Hello John,

    did you take a look on rm's manpage?

       [...]
       -d, --directory
              Remove  directories  with   `unlink'   instead   of
              `rmdir',  and don't require a directory to be empty
              before trying to unlink it.   Only  works  for  the
              super-user.   Because  unlinking a directory causes
              any files in the deleted directory to become unref­
              erenced,  it  is  wise to fsck the filesystem after
              doing this.
       [...]

     It seems to be a bit risky -- use «rm -rf <dir>» instead.

          Peter
Peter Weiss, Riemenschneiderstraße 4, 82008 Unterhaching
---    The foolish ones taught more to me than the wise ones ever could    ---