Re: Document processing? (TeX/SGML?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> I'm looking for the best tool to create a professional-looking document
> once, and then render it in the following formats:
>
> HTML
> Postscript
> PDF
> ASCII
>
> I'm not concerned so much about a learning curve as I am about flexibility
> and results. [..]
>
> What tools can tackle this kind of chore and what are their relative
> merits?  Should I be looking at TeX or SGML tools?  Or should I just stick
> with plain HTML?

I would suggest TeX/LaTeX. TeX is extremely flexible. LaTeX has the
advantage of functional markup. (La)TeX to Postscript is the default way
to proceed, at least within the Linux environment. Furthermore, there
exist tools to convert (La)TeX to HTML (notably latex2html and tex4ht)
and a LaTeX that creates directly PDF (PDFlatex, I have not used it yet).
To create formatted ASCI file from LaTeX I use a utility called dvi2tty.

Paul Huygen.