problems w/pppd 2.3.7

Last night, I ran "apt-get dist-upgrade" before I went
to sleep.  When I got up today, I logged in and tried
to execute "pon".  I received an error, which I think
had something to do with .ppprc.  This file didn't
exist, so I did 'touch .ppprc' to create it.  Also,
I had to make pppd setuid root again.  Now, only root
can run pon, even though my users are in the dip group.

When I try to run pon as a user, this is what shows up
in the logs:

Apr 12 22:11:33 jgaddis pppd[24083]: Can't open options file
/etc/ppp/peers/provider: Function not implemented

-rw-r-----   1 root     dip           579 Feb 27 23:51 provider

As you can see, this file is readable by group dip,
which my user belongs to.  Has anyone else had any
similar problems to this?

I'm running potato w/ 2.0.36 kernel.

TIA,
Jeremy
To automatically retrieve my PGP key via e-mail, send a
blank message with the subject line "fetch pgp key".