help with final setup...

To finalize my debian installation, I've installed KDE and the newest
version of XFree-SVGA, but now I need to get sound setup, my CD-ROM
recognized, and my modem setup. I'm new to linux and alot of the sites I've
travelled to have explanations that I would say are way over my head (i.e.
isapnp) or else my comprehensions are running slow (years of MS
brainwashing :) ) If someone can point to some good web-sites for users
about these points, It would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

		Jaysonsb@concentric.net
		Aleksandr1@rocketmail.com (Cyillic only)
		http://www.concentric.net/~jsbaird