Re: Document processing? (TeX/SGML?)

I have no experience with SGML, but I can strongly recommend you to use
TeX, or more precisely, TeX together with its macro package LaTeX. It
gives you the most ample control about layout, it is
platform-independent, output is dvi which is routinely converted to ps
or pdf; conversion to ASCII and HTML is also possible. A very
comprehensive and stable TeX distribution is teTeX, which comes with
Debian in many cases (if not, you can get it from the web).
There is a very recommendable newsgroup, comp.text.tex, concerned with
TeX/LaTeX issues, and a mailing list for teTeX where you can get
information and support. Also have a look at http://tug.org/
>Or should I just stick with plain HTML?
HTML by far is not flexible enough to create professional-looking
printable documents; it wasn't designed for that, though.

HTH,
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics,
J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt/Main
Feldbergstrasse 47			D-60323 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Phone:+49-(0)69-798-24949		Fax:+49-(0)69-798-23280
e-mail: ruedas@geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/