Re: LyX 1.0 for slink?

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 04:55:52AM -0400, navindra@cs.mcgill.ca wrote:
> Jim Foltz <jfoltz@raex.com> wrote:
> > I don't want to run the unstable tree at this time, thanks. I'll just
> > compile it myself.
>
> You could still get the unstable source packages and build the deb
> from them.  Now I really wish I could figure out the damn details as
> to how to do this.  Any one care to explain?  I'm lost in a maze of
> manpages all alike.
>
> [dpkg-source -x? dpkg-buildpackage -b? dpkg-deb??  Red Hat makes this
>  so easy it's not funny.]

In Debian it's very easy. Just download <package-name>orig.tar.gz
<package-name>diff.gz and <package-name>.dsc .  Then do dpkg-source -x
<package-name>.dsc and it will untar orig.tar.gz into separate
subdirectory ./<package-name> and apply debian-specific diff.gz . Go into
this directory and do "make -f debian/rules binary" and after compilation
you will have binary .deb file in your start directory ( in ../).

--
|Leszek Gerwatowski|    _/_|_\
"It took the computing power of three C-64s to fly to the Moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95. Something is wrong here."