Re: chat serial port configuration

Tomas Petersson writes:
> Hello, I am trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP.  Using Minicom I
> can dial, log in and start PPP, so far so good.

The only use for minicom in setting up a ppp connection is to find out what
sort of authentication your isp uses.  To set up ppp, run pppconfig, answer
all the questions, and then type 'pon' to start the connection and 'poff'
to end it.

> But, how do I specify which COM port the chat program should use?

The chat program doesn't use COM ports at all.  It just talks to its
standard input and output.  pppd sees to it that chat gets connected to the
serial port.  You don't need to worry about that, though. pppconfig will
set it all up.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)