Re: Help for error: "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument."

	Subject: Help for error: "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument."
	Date: Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 07:58:40PM +0200

Quoting Norbert Nemec(Gaestehaeuser@t-online.de):
> Hi out there,
>
> I've been trying to compile kernel 2.2.1 for several machines in our small
> network. Now, some computers bring the message above during bootup at
> the command:
> 	route add -net 127.0.0.0
> (in /etc/init.d/network)
> After that, the IP-network is not working fully. (Parts, like nfs still work, but
> others, like dns don't)
>
> Now everything seems like this is a problem in the kernel-configuration, but
> I can't make it out. Has anybody any clue about this? (Booting 2.0.34 with
> the same filesystem/computer works without problems)
>
> Please CC your reply to <nobbi@cheerful.com> as I can't follow the list at
> the moment.
>
> Ciao,
> Nobbi
Nobbi

  Here is an answer I sent to someone else that had the same problem.

  I think you must be using kernel 2.2.x.  If so, that is the problem.
I have changed my /etc/init.d/network to work under 2.2.3 like this

if [ $(uname -r  |grep 2.0) ]; then
        /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0
        ifconfig ppp ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast
${BROADCAST}
        /sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK}
else
        /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
        /sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask
${NETMASK}
fi

I forget now where the ref is but the above does work.  Something to
do with the new kernel setting the route when it finds the network
card, IIRC.

HTH

--
Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN.  FORTRAN is for pipe stress
freaks and crystallography weenies.  FORTRAN is for wimp engineers who