Re: Help for error: "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument."

	Subject: Help for error: "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument."
	Date: Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 07:58:40PM +0200

Quoting Norbert Nemec(Gaestehaeuser@t-online.de):
> Hi out there,
> I've been trying to compile kernel 2.2.1 for several machines in our small
> network. Now, some computers bring the message above during bootup at
> the command:
> 	route add -net
> (in /etc/init.d/network)
> After that, the IP-network is not working fully. (Parts, like nfs still work, but
> others, like dns don't)
> Now everything seems like this is a problem in the kernel-configuration, but
> I can't make it out. Has anybody any clue about this? (Booting 2.0.34 with
> the same filesystem/computer works without problems)
> Please CC your reply to <nobbi@cheerful.com> as I can't follow the list at
> the moment.
> Ciao,
> Nobbi

  Here is an answer I sent to someone else that had the same problem.

  I think you must be using kernel 2.2.x.  If so, that is the problem.
I have changed my /etc/init.d/network to work under 2.2.3 like this

if [ $(uname -r  |grep 2.0) ]; then
        /sbin/route add -net
        ifconfig ppp ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast
        /sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK}
        /sbin/ifconfig lo
        /sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask

I forget now where the ref is but the above does work.  Something to
do with the new kernel setting the route when it finds the network
card, IIRC.

Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN.  FORTRAN is for pipe stress
freaks and crystallography weenies.  FORTRAN is for wimp engineers who
wear white socks.
Wayne T. Topa <wtopa@ix.netcom.com>