Re: primenet.com rejects mail from ibm.net

On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 10:24:00AM -0700, Prof. Feedlebom wrote:
> First of all, why are you sending this to the Debian list?  *shrug*  It
> seems a bit off-topic.

I was furious, and I was attempting to bring to other Debian users'
attention the possibility that perhaps they, too, live in a ghetto
according to Paul Vixie.

> > I protest in most strenous possible terms to this treatment.
>
> You apparently don't understand the entire context of the error message.
> Please, read on.

I spent a great deal of time at maps.vix.com after receiving the error
message.

[everbody else is doing it, so you shouldn't complain]

Ah, an old refuge of the moral cowards.  It's a popular practice, therefore
it is a correct practice.

> If you set your local sendmail to deliver to your "normal" mail relay
> host, rather than try to handle the routing itself (that is, dumb down
> your local sendmail and have it point to a "smarthost" for relaying) you
> probably won't have this problem. I won't get in to the technical /
> engineering argument of whether or not this tactic _should_ be done, but I
> can attest to my own network's statistics on the matter: since we started
> denying mail acceptance directly from IP blocks on the MAPS DUL,
> spam on our local network has decreased from 100 messages a day, to around
> 10.

Do the users of your network understand that you are doing this and why?
Do they understand that they might not be able to receive perfectly
legitimate, non-spam mail as a result of this policy?  Do they all agree to
this?  Do they have any choice in the matter?  If so, good for you.  If
not, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

> Another issue is that IBM.net historically (in my experience) is slow
> to respond to spam complaints, and many times even claims that they have
> no control over what their users send and do nothing.  This may have lead
> to Primenet's decision to cut off IBM.net dialups specifically, if they
> only chose to do this to IBM.

Are these things my responsibility?  Yes or no?

> Please note that they are not saying you can't send mail to Primenet.
> They are, in essence, requesting that you go through your host network's
> mail relay, rather than from your own dialup service.  This is not an
> unreasonable request, and expect to find more of this as time goes on.

Yes, it is an unreasonable request.  What if my ISP does data mining on the
outgoing mail through their SMTP relay?  I am not required by the terms of
my service to employ their SMTP relay for all my outgoing mail, and
furthermore, it's not bad for the Internet or anyone on it if I don't.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    The first thing the communists do when
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    they take over a country is to outlaw