How do I change ppp window size in Debian?

Hi. I have a problem with my ISP's POP3 server. There is a pause between
each message as I am downloading them. Since I subscribe to quite a few
mailing lists thsi creates a lot of additional time on-line.

My ISP's support desk has emailed the following to me, though I am note
sure how to do the same thing with Debian - the command he suggests does
not work.

Here is the message:

> I have recently started using the ukgateway POP server for my email
> messages and am noticing a distinct pause in download after each and
> every message. This does not happen with any other IP I have used.

This might be an TCP window size interaction I've noticed before between
Linux's TCP and our dialup modem servers.

Linux advertises a very large TCP window that leads to packets being
dropped in our modem servers.

After bringing up your PPP connection, try adjusting the TCP window for
that interface.  If I remember correctly, on Redhat 5.2 (at least) you
do that through an ifconfig option (ifconfig ppp0 window 8000?).

Try setting it to 8000.

Cheers.

--
Phillip Deackes