Re: new mail not visible in mail readers

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 07:21:14PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 02:26:01PM +1000, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:
> >
> > I have been having a problem that when I fetch my mail using
> > fetchmail, the new messages do not always appear, at least
> > immediately.  Sometimes, I have to run fetchmail a second time, then
> > a few messages appear, and as I delete messages, new messages begin
> > showing at the tail end of the buffer.
> >
> > I use mutt, but with af the mail isn't visible either.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Could a lagging system clock cause such a problem?
>
> No, the mail does not immediately go into the mail folders. Incoming

	I think this depends on the MTA.  When I used smail, the first
message fetched didn't get delivered until all messages were fetched.  The
more messages there are on the remote server you're popping, the longer you
wait for the messages to be delivered locally.  However, delivery started as
soon as the fetch was terminated.

	I recently switched to exim.  exim starts local delivery right away.
The first messages start appearing in mailboxes while more messages are
still being popped.

	I am not a mail expert by any stretch of the imagination.  Perhaps
the above behaviour is configurable, but that is the way they behaved as
installed "out of the box" from Deb 2.0.

	HTH,

	Gerald