Re: using FAT floppies- a drawback

Pollywog writes:
> For instance, could I tar (recursively) /local/mail and copy all the
> files to a floppy with the directory structure intact?

Yes.  Just like tape.  Note, however, that one bad sector will make the tar
unreadable.  If you are going to do this you should test the floppies and
not use any that aren't perfect.  The simplest way to test floppies is to
format them.

Tarring directly to the device gets you maximum data density, but at a
price.