Re: using FAT floppies- a drawback

On 09-Apr-99 Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
> Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:
>| I was going about reformatting a floppy disk I use to backup my Exim
>| filters
>| and configs and I remembered something:  DOS floppies are limited to 8.3
>| type
>| names.  I believe there are some ways around this which I cannot
>| remember, but instead I will keep using ext2 on some floppies like this
>| one.
>
> Do you need to read these floppies on a DOS system? If not don't even
> bother formatting them, just use tar on the device itself, e.g.,
>
> tar cvf /dev/fd0 <files>

I was not certain that I could do that.  Does this mean I can tar a small
directory tree and copy it to floppy using any filename I like?

For instance, could I tar (recursively) /local/mail and copy all the files to
a floppy with the directory structure intact?  I know this can be done on tape.

thanks

--
Andrew

[PGP5.0 Key ID 0x5EE61C37]