Re: Symbolic links behaviour

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 05:42:38PM +0200, Ruben Leote Mendes wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 01:09:57PM -0700, Adam Klein wrote:
> > Why don't you just mount the parition under /usr/local?
> The main reason is because I want to put several directories in the
> same partition.  I create several directories in the partition and
> then make symbolic links there. For instance /home and /usr/local will
> be on the same partition.
>
> It seems that I will have to go through all the symbolic links and
> make them absolute. I must figure out some script to do this. :)
Umm, perhaps I'm missing somthing, but I once had to do a similar thing.  I
simply mounted the new partition in /hdd2, and created symlinks
/home->/hdd2/home, /usr/local->/hdd2/usr/local.  Nested symlinks are
perfectly legal.  (Indeed, when the kernel went to dcache, there were quite
a few hoops jumped through to still support it cleanly.)

	-=- James Mastros
--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."