Symbolic links behaviour

Hello,

My /usr/local directory is mounted in /mnt/local.
If I cd to /usr/local and type "ls .." it lists the contents of /mnt
and not of /usr as I would expect. Is this the normal behaviour?
All relative symbolic links that point outside of /usr/local stopped
working also.

I have to move other directories to new partitions because the disk
space is getting low. Is there a way of doing this without having to
change all relative links to absolute links?

Thanks.
--
Ruben Leote Mendes - etruben@ua.pt